Rurally located program – Pottsville, PA
The LVHN-Schuylkill Family Medicine Residency will provide comprehensive training in partnership with the community to ensure that graduates lead patient-centered, evidence-informed care teams while remaining resilient lifelong learners who find joy in rural practice in order to meet the health care needs of Schuylkill County and surrounding rural regions in Pennsylvania.
- Residents will spend all three years of training in a rural location
- FM Residents will work directly with attending physicians in an environment without residents from other specialties
- Residents will have the opportunity to participate in third year “tracts” which focus on individual interests – hospitalist, OB, ER, etc.
- Residents will become proficient in outpatient procedures – joint injection, skin biopsy, etc.
- Residency program is affiliated with Lehigh Valley Health Network, which has strong presence in several surrounding counties, including Lehigh, Northampton, Monroe, and Carbon, as well as a sister Family Medicine residency located in Lehigh County
- Residents will have the opportunity to become part of a community that is collegial and has a strong “community feel.” Residents will not just be a number, but will be a valued member of the community
- Focus on MAT (Medication-Assisted Treatment) training through the residency, as well as the LVHN Center for Counseling Services, which specializes in the treatment of substance abuse, including drug and alcohol abuse
- Residency is located approximately 2.5 hours or less from major cities, including Philadelphia, PA; New York City, NY; and Baltimore, MD
- Schuylkill County offers something for everyone, including a wide array of activities and entertainment possibilities
Schuylkill County has something for everyone including:
- Outdoor adventures at its state parts (3), campgrounds (7), the Appalachian Trail, Little Schuylkill River, Sweet Arrow Lake County Park, Hawk Mountain Sanctuary, and more
- Historical and other sites of interest including D.G. Yuengling and Sons (America’s Oldest Brewery); Fighter’s Heaven (Muhammed Ali’s former training camp), a classic car museum; coal mines offering a glimpse into the history of the region, as well as tours into the mines; local wineries and distilleries; a lavender farm; the Schuylkill County Fair, Pottsville Car Cruise, and numerous Ethnic and Community Festivals
- Colleges and Universities including Penn State and Alvernia Universities and Lehigh Carbon Community College
- Numerous dining spots such as Wheel which was named in “Travel and Leisure” magazine as one of the top 25 diners in the country; the Wooden Keg, an 1860s site for a vintage-style Irish sports tavern with pub grub & a prohibition-era tunnel room; or fine dining at the Tamaqua Train Station or the Brickhouse Grille
- A variety of lodging options for when family and friends come to visit, including national chain hotels, local bed and breakfasts, and country inn options
For more information on what Schuylkill County has to offer, visit Schuylkill.org