Video courtesy of Rural PREP, a grant-funded affiliate of the RTT Collaborative.
Our Participating Programs and Sponsors
Featured News Story
The RTT Collaborative July 2021 Student Newsletter is now available!
This newsletter includes resources, announcements and advice for students regarding the upcoming events, AAFP National Conference, a list of resources, and available board positions.
Some newsletter highlights include:
- Various program lists kept by RTT
- Rural Residency Fest Announcements + information
- AAFP National Conference Announcement + information
- Rural Residency Fair Announcement + information
- List of RTT Programs at National Conference
- List of rural resources for students
- Available student and resident board positions
- Upcoming photo contest announcement + information
RHIhub – The nation’s rural health library
News stories via the Rural Health Information Hub News stories of interest to rural health, with information provided via the Rural Health Information Hub
- HRSA: Agency Information Collection Activities: Proposed Collection: Public Comment Request; Information Collection Request Title: COVID-19...on July 26, 2021 at 5:00 am
The Health Resources and Services Administration is seeking comments and burden estimates on a proposed information collection titled "COVID-10 Provider Relief Fund Reporting Activities." The information obtained will be used to determine program compliance and evaluation, as well as to report on how funds were used during the spending period. Comments are due by September 24, 2021.
- HRSA Announces Major Effort to Strengthen and Expand Community-Based Residency Programs in Rural and Underserved Communitieson July 26, 2021 at 5:00 am
The Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) announced investments to strengthen and expand community-based primary care medical and dental residency programs in rural and underserved communities. Funding from the American Rescue Plan will support and expand Teaching Health Center Graduate Medical Education (THCGME) programs, includes details on current funding available.
- The Pace of New Rural Vaccinations Slows by 30%on July 26, 2021 at 5:00 am
Analyzes rural and urban COVID-19 vaccination rates as of July 22, 2021. Finds that the rural vaccination rate increased 0.3 percentage points from the previous week. Includes an interactive map of all U.S. counties' vaccination rates, a graph detailing the weekly nonmetropolitan/metropolitan percent of population completely vaccinated since April 2021, and a table of vaccination rates for all 50 U.S. states.
- SAMHSA Releases Tribal Behavioral Health Grants Totaling $7 Million to Provide Support to Native American Communitieson July 23, 2021 at 5:00 am
The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) released 29 Tribal Behavioral Health Grants totaling $7 million to American Indian/Alaska Native (AI/AN) communities. Each grantee receives up to $250,000 during a five-year period to support the development and implementation of integrated services to prevent suicide and reduce the impact of mental and substance use disorders and trauma.
- Biden-Harris Administration Provides $100 Million to Rural Health Clinics for COVID-19 Vaccine Outreach in Their Communities to Increase...on July 22, 2021 at 5:00 am
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) awarded $100 million to 1,980 Rural Health Clinics (RHCs) to support COVID-19 vaccination outreach efforts in medically underserved rural communities. Funding is provided by the American Rescue Plan and distributed through the Health Resources and Services Administration's (HRSA) Rural Health Clinic Vaccine Confidence (RHCVC) Program.
- Biden Administration to Invest More Than $1.6 Billion to Support COVID-19 Testing and Mitigation in Vulnerable Communitieson July 22, 2021 at 5:00 am
Funding from the American Rescue Plan will be utilized by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) to support COVID-19 testing and mitigation measures in vulnerable communities across the country. The funds totaling $1.6 billion will be provided to mental health and substance use providers, shelters for people experiencing homelessness, prisons, and domestic violence shelters.
- Utah Leads Nation in Increase in Rural Vaccinations; Mississippi Moves up Slightly in Rankingson July 20, 2021 at 5:00 am
Compares rural and urban COVID-19 vaccination rates to the national adjusted rate as of July 15, 2021. Includes an interactive map of all U.S. counties' vaccination rates. Finds the rural vaccination rate increased to 35.5%, with Utah leading the nation in the highest percentage-point increase in rural vaccinations.
- CMS Proposes Rule to Increase Price Transparency, Access to Care, Safety & Health Equityon July 19, 2021 at 5:00 am
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) proposed a new rule to address the health equity gap, including actions to promote price transparency, improve access to emergency care in rural areas, increase Medicare beneficiary safety, and use lessons learned from the COVID-19 pandemic to improve patient experiences and outcomes.
- OMB: 2020 Standards for Delineating Core Based Statistical Areason July 16, 2021 at 5:00 am
Notice of decision from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) announcing the adoption and content of the 2020 Standards for Delineating Core Based Statistical Areas. This notice also summarizes comments received in response to the January 19, 2021, Federal Register Notice on recommended changes to OMB's metropolitan and micropolitan statistical area standards. Among other decisions, OMB does not accept the recommendation to increase the minimum urban area population to qualify as a metropolitan statistical area from 50,000 to 100,000. This notice is effective immediately.
- Health Advocacy Summit 2021on July 16, 2021 at 5:00 am
The Health Advocacy Summit (HAS) is hosting its second International Virtual Summit for young adults with chronic and rare conditions on August 7-8, 2021. HAS is seeking attendees from rural communities.
Rural resources via the Rural Health Information Hub Resources, reports, and other documents on rural health topics from a variety of sources, with information provided via the Rural Health Information Hub
- Factors Affecting Adoption of Coordinated Anxiety Learning and Management (CALM) in Veterans' Affairs Community-Based Outpatient Clinicson July 27, 2021 at 7:09 pm
Explores the efficacy of a training program designed to educate rural providers on evidence-based psychotherapies (EBPs) in VHA affiliated clinics. Details the barriers and facilitators of the program in rural areas and features the perspectives of providers who participated in the program.
- Community Health Centers Telehealth Promising Practices: Case Studies from the COVID-19 Pandemicon July 27, 2021 at 4:46 pm
Offers a series of eight case studies on how community health centers developed or expanded telehealth programs in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Discusses challenges faced, best practices, and lessons learned for each program. -- National Association of Community Health Centers
- Rural Health Potentially Avoidable Utilization (PAU) Dashboardon July 27, 2021 at 4:29 pm
Interactive dashboard providing information on potentially avoidable utilization at rural hospitals based on 2019 Medicare claims data. Includes data on admissions for ambulatory care sensitive conditions, hospital readmissions, and potentially avoidable emergency department visits. -- Mathematica
- Reducing the Impact of Dementia in America: A Decadal Survey of the Behavioral and Social Scienceson July 27, 2021 at 3:48 pm
Summarizes results of a survey of social and behavioral research on preventing or slowing the development of dementia and reducing its social and economic impact on dementia patients and caregivers. Offers recommendations on research priorities to improve the lives of those affected by dementia. Includes rural references throughout. -- National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine
- Assessment of the Financial Health of Rural Hospitals After Implementation of the Georgia Rural Hospital Tax Credit Programon July 26, 2021 at 8:13 pm
Explores association of the Georgia Rural Hospital Tax Credit Program with the financial health of participating rural hospitals, using financial data from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services from 2015-2019 for 136 hospitals. Examines data from participating Georgia hospitals with data from comparison hospitals in Alabama, Florida, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee. Features statistics on sample characteristics and finances.
- Personal Care Assistance in Rural Americaon July 26, 2021 at 3:50 pm
Explores where people with disabilities who need help with self-care and daily activities live, and compares that to where Personal Care Aides (PCAs) are located. Includes demographics on PCAs, with breakdowns by urban and rural location, and county-level maps showing metropolitan, micropolitan, and noncore areas, and levels of mismatch in numbers of PCAs per 1,000 people with self-care disabilities. -- Research and Training Center on Disability in Rural Communities, University of California San Francisco, Health Workforce Research Center on Long Term Care
- 2019 Georgia Dentist Workforce Report: Based on 2017-2019 Licensure Renewal Dataon July 26, 2021 at 2:42 pm
An overview of Georgia's dental workforce. Includes statistics on distribution of Georgia dentists by age, gender, work hours per week, specialty, and years of licensure. Features county-level maps showing counties without dentists and concentrations of dentists per 100,000 residents as of 2019. -- Georgia Board of Health Care Workforce
- Medicaid and Housing Partnerships: A Resource for Local Health Departmentson July 23, 2021 at 3:49 pm
Explores how local health departments (LHDs) in rural areas can utilize Medicaid managed care levers to address homelessness and housing security issues. Summarizes results from a gap analysis and readiness assessment which identified key opportunities to help prepare three LHDs in rural North Carolina counties for the transition to Medicaid managed care. Identifies action steps for these counties to strengthen housing supports that can also inform similar initiatives in other states. -- Center for Health Care Strategies
- Door-to-Door Vaccination Campaign Reaches the Most Vulnerableon July 23, 2021 at 3:39 pm
Article and video describing the efforts of the Coalition Advocating for Pesticide Safety (CAPS), a community-based organization, to conduct COVID-19 vaccination outreach door-to-door in rural, at-risk, and immigrant communities in California. Describes the challenges facing public health agencies working in rural areas, vaccine hesitancy, and health disparities in rural areas. -- Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, Freethink
- Health Insurance Coverage and Access to Care for American Indians and Alaska Natives: Current Trends and Key Challengeson July 23, 2021 at 3:11 pm
Issue brief presenting data on rates of insurance coverage, Medicaid coverage, and access to healthcare for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN) using American Community Survey data. Discusses the impacts of health disparities, coverage expansions under the Affordable Care Act, and state Medicaid expansions on AI/AN populations. -- HHS Office of the Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation