Our Participating Programs and Sponsors
Click HERE for more information on our 2024 Annual Meeting and the Call for Presentations!
Featured News Story
Each year we recognize residency programs with a proven track record of producing rural doctors. Any program with a 3 year rolling average of producing more rural doctors than the average rural program is welcome to apply for this special recognition. Recognized programs are posted on our website and the list is sent to rurally interested students. To qualify a program must have at least 50% or 3 of their graduates practice in a rural area as their initial practice location, and submit verification. Congratulations to the residency programs who have earned Rural Recognition in 2023. The list can be found HERE along with past years’ lists.
RHIhub – The nation’s rural health library
News stories via the Rural Health Information Hub News stories of interest to rural health, with information provided via the Rural Health Information Hub
- Food Sovereignty Movement Sprouts as Bison Return to Indigenous Communitieson December 7, 2023 at 6:00 am
Highlights the food sovereignty movement, an effort to return traditional Indigenous gardening and food supply practices to Native communities. Discusses food deserts on reservations and higher rates of health conditions such as heart disease, cancer, and diabetes for American Indian and Alaska Native populations.
- Rural Jobs Grew a Percentage Point in September, but the Longer-Term Trend Is Still a Problemon December 6, 2023 at 6:00 am
Offers analysis of jobs data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, finding that access to rural jobs is increasing, but still remain below pre-pandemic levels. Includes employment trends over time, rural and urban comparisons, and both state and county-level data. Discusses potential factors impacting these trends.
- USDA and EPA Strengthen Partnership to Improve Access to Modern and Affordable Wastewater Infrastructure for People in Rural Americaon December 5, 2023 at 6:00 am
Announcement of a partnership between the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, and a network of wastewater organizations to improve wastewater infrastructure and water quality for rural areas. Through the partnership, rural areas will have increased access to funding, technical assistance, and networking.
- Sen. Moran Introduces Legislation to Expand Rural Emergency Hospital Designationon December 5, 2023 at 6:00 am
Announcement of proposed legislation to expand the eligibility requirements of Rural Emergency Hospitals. Legislation would allow closed hospitals to reopen if they met the eligibility requirements between January 2015 and December 2020.
- Using Virtual Care Tech to Curb Care Barriers in Rural South Carolinaon November 29, 2023 at 6:00 am
Describes the use of both mobile and virtual care for rural residents in South Carolina as well as the challenges that come with this these models of service. Discusses remote patient monitoring, technology challenges, and sustainability of services.
- 'I Went Into Medicine to Help My Community': Nez Perce Doctor Speaks on Rural Health Care and Building a Future for the Next Generationon November 29, 2023 at 6:00 am
Profile of a Native American doctor's career in medicine. Discusses recruitment and retention of Native physicians and the impact that historical trauma has had on her decision to become a physician.
- Research and Analysis: Rural Internet Subscribers Pay More, New Data Confirmson November 28, 2023 at 6:00 am
Reviews data showing that disparities in affordability for broadband for rural and urban residents including a look at how the number of providers in an area impacts cost for both urban and rural areas. Discusses the affordability requirement of Broadband Equity Access and Deployment (BEAD) funding.
- Focus on Fellows: Checking in with Three Rural Leaderson November 22, 2023 at 6:00 am
Interviews 3 former National Rural Health Association Rural Health Fellows about their experiences in the program and the impact on their careers.
- A Prescription for Better Rural Nutritionon November 22, 2023 at 6:00 am
Discusses rural food insecurity for elderly Arkansas residents. The Good Food Rx initiative offers qualifying seniors free food, food delivery, cooking classes, and more. Highlights both transportation barriers and isolation for elderly residents.
- In Texas' Panhandle, a Long-Awaited Oasis for Mental Health Care Is Springing Upon November 22, 2023 at 6:00 am
Planned hospitals in the Texas Panhandle will increase access to mental healthcare, including inpatient care, for rural residents. Describes current distance to care for residents and the impact on the local criminal justice system. Highlights local efforts to improve the mental health of the residents and the gaps the hospitals will fill.
Rural resources via the Rural Health Information Hub Resources, reports, and other documents on rural health topics from a variety of sources, with information provided via the Rural Health Information Hub
- Drug Overdose Deaths: South Carolina, 2021on December 7, 2023 at 10:29 pm
Reports drug overdose deaths for South Carolina in 2021 using state vital statistics data. Covers unintentional and intentional deaths, drug category, and selected drugs, with demographic breakdowns. Includes county-level tables and maps showing death totals, rates, and change over time. -- South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control
- Evaluating Maternal Health Capacity Building in Rural and Underserved Areas: A Research Protocolon December 7, 2023 at 10:09 pm
Describes a research protocol evaluating a project addressing maternal care shortages in rural and underserved areas of Utah.
- Economic Profile Systemon December 7, 2023 at 9:34 pm
Tool providing downloadable socioeconomic reports for communities, counties, or states using publicly available data. Reports cover various demographics such as poverty, race and ethnicity, employment, and more in addition to environmental risks, land management, and trends in industry. -- Headwaters Economics
- A Tool for Rural Health Care in Nebraska: The Rural Emergency Hospital Designationon December 7, 2023 at 9:05 pm
Research brief discussing rural hospitals service needs in Nebraska and the potential impact of the Rural Emergency Hospital designation on those services.
- 2021-2022 Tennessee State Health Plan: A Year in Reviewon December 7, 2023 at 7:41 pm
Reports on the Tennessee Department of Health's efforts to improve health in the state during the period 2021-2022. Identifies priorities related to healthcare access, funding and economic efficiency, quality of care, workforce, and community-led partnerships. Also provides health policy updates and discusses COVID-19 response. -- Tennessee Department of Health
- Cybersecurity Lockdownon December 7, 2023 at 5:37 pm
Recording of a December 6, 2023, webinar on cybersecurity threats and attacks. Discusses who is after healthcare data, why providers have a professional responsibility to address these threats proactively, and what providers can do today to limit their impact. Part of the Rural Health Clinic Technical Assistance Series. -- National Association of Rural Health Clinics
- 2023 Broadband/Internet Availability Survey Reporton December 7, 2023 at 5:14 pm
Presents findings of a survey capturing rural broadband and internet availability data as reported by 205 internet companies in NTCA's email database. Describes technologies used to provide broadband services, broadband availability and subscription rates, barriers to widespread fiber deployment, and more. -- NTCA: The Rural Broadband Association
- Medicaid and CHIP Enrollees Who Received a Well-Child Visit in 2020on December 7, 2023 at 4:56 pm
Presents data on the percentage and number of children under age 19 who received a well-child visit that was paid for by Medicaid or CHIP in 2020. Includes data on the share of Medicaid or CHIP enrollees under age 19 who received a well-child visit by age, gender, race and ethnicity, urban or rural residence, program type, and primary language spoken. -- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
- Section 1915(c) Waiver Program Participants in 2020on December 7, 2023 at 4:50 pm
Presents data on the percentage and number of Medicaid enrollees who participated in a Section 1915(c) waiver program in 2020. Includes data on the share of enrollees who participated in a Section 1915(c) waiver program overall and by age, gender, race and ethnicity, urban or rural residence, Medicaid eligibility category, and dual eligibility status. -- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
- Kansas Marketplace Enrollment, 2023on December 7, 2023 at 4:45 pm
An infographic that depicts enrollment in the health insurance marketplace at the county level as well as cost of monthly marketplace premiums. -- Kansas Health Institute