Our Participating Programs and Sponsors
Registration is now open for our 2024 Annual Meeting! Click HERE for more information!
Registration is now open for our 2024 Scholarly Intensive Seminar Series! Click HERE for more information!
The RTT Collaborative is excited to announce that we are hiring a part-time Associate Director!
More information can be found here: Associate-Director-open-position.pdf (185.78 KB pdf) !
Featured News Story
Each year we recognize residency programs with a proven track record of producing rural doctors. Any program with a 3 year rolling average of producing more rural doctors than the average rural program is welcome to apply for this special recognition. Recognized programs are posted on our website and the list is sent to rurally interested students. To qualify a program must have at least 50% or 3 of their graduates practice in a rural area as their initial practice location, and submit verification. Congratulations to the residency programs who have earned Rural Recognition in 2023. The list can be found HERE along with past years’ lists.
RHIhub – The nation’s rural health library
News stories via the Rural Health Information Hub News stories of interest to rural health, with information provided via the Rural Health Information Hub
- As More Rural Hospitals Stop Delivering Babies, Some Are Determined to Make It Workon February 19, 2024 at 6:00 am
Highlights a Critical Access Hospital in Iowa expanding the obstetrics department in spite of the statewide and national trend of department closures across the country. Discusses partnerships with nearby clinics, the importance of labor and delivery services to small communities, and philosophies of care.
- Tribes in Washington Are Battling a Devastating Opioid Crisis. Will a Multimillion-Dollar Bill Help?on February 15, 2024 at 6:00 am
Highlights proposed funding in the state of Washington to address opioid overdoses among American Indian and Alaska Native (AI/AN) tribes. Overdose rates for AI/AN Washington residents are five times higher than the state average and have risen dramatically in recent years.
- FACT SHEET: Biden-Harris Administration Releases Annual Agency Equity Action Plans to Further Advance Racial Equity and Support for...on February 14, 2024 at 6:00 am
Highlights priority areas from across the federal government for increasing equity for rural, tribal, and other underserved communities. Includes actions to address maternal health outcomes, food insecurity, environmental health, mental health support services for students, community development, and more.
- HHS Launches Postpartum Maternal Health Collaborativeon February 14, 2024 at 6:00 am
Announcement of a new collaborative among 6 states aiming to understand the challenges leading to postpartum mortality and find new solutions to address it. This collaborative will work alongside the National Governors Association initiative Improving Maternal and Child Health in Rural America State and Territory Policy Learning Collaborative which focuses on policy to improve health outcomes.
- New Black-Owned Freight Farm in Rural Minnesota to Tackle Food Insecurity, Health Inequitieson February 13, 2024 at 6:00 am
Discusses a Minnesota initiative to increase diversity in farming, address access to healthy food and health equity, and improve economic opportunities in rural areas.
- Rural Emergency Medical Team Touts Using Whole Blood to Help Save Liveson February 13, 2024 at 6:00 am
An Indiana rural emergency medical service crew is now carrying whole blood to administer in the field as a pilot project. Notes long transport times to a trauma hospital means worse patient survival rates. Blood transfusions in the field are expected to improve these rates.
- Arizona Projected to Have Largest Nursing Shortage in U.S. In 2025on February 8, 2024 at 6:00 am
Discusses projected nursing workforce shortages in Arizona. Discusses the causes and impact of shortages in both rural and urban areas, noting that rural residents are often required to travel to urban areas to access care leading to overburdened facilities. Highlights strategies to reduce the shortage.
- URMC, Five Star Bank Launch Telemedicine Initiative in Three Rural Finger Lakes Communitieson February 7, 2024 at 6:00 am
A New York medical center will install telehealth kiosks in banks in 3 rural towns. The kiosks will offer privacy for measuring various health indicators as well as virtual consultations with healthcare providers.
- Colorado Moves to Connect Agricultural Workers With Mental Health Resourceson February 7, 2024 at 6:00 am
Highlights proposed legislation in Colorado to address availability of mental health resources for the agricultural community. Discusses mental healthcare workforce shortages, distances to care, and the unique barriers experienced by migrant workers.
- How Midwives Are Filling the Void as Rural Minnesota Birthing Centers Closeon February 7, 2024 at 6:00 am
Interviews a midwife offering services in a rural Minnesota community with a labor and delivery department closure. Discusses the planning required to travel multiple hours in order to give birth, insurance considerations, and home birth as a solution for limited access to care.
Rural resources via the Rural Health Information Hub Resources, reports, and other documents on rural health topics from a variety of sources, with information provided via the Rural Health Information Hub
- Maternal and Child Health Resources: 2023 Synopsison February 20, 2024 at 3:59 pm
Provides podcasts, issue briefs, blogs, and additional resources related to maternal and child health. Includes examples of maternal and child health initiatives specific to indigenous and rural populations. -- American Hospital Association
- Environmental Scan on Encouraging Rural Participation in Population-Based TCOC Modelson February 16, 2024 at 3:50 pm
Presents results of an environmental scan regarding population-based total cost of care (PB-TCOC) payment models and encouraging rural participation in these models. Describes challenges affecting rural patients and providers; opportunities for alternative payment models (APMs) and PB-TCOC models to address challenges in rural areas; trends in rural providers' participation in APMs; driving care delivery transformation in rural providers, including models that include or target rural participants in their model designs; leveraging financial incentives to improve rural health care; adoption and use of health information technology, including telehealth and data analytics among rural providers; and the measurement of rural providers' performance in APMs. -- HHS Office of the Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation, NORC at the University of Chicago
- Integrated Care for Kids (InCK) Model: Evaluation Report 2on February 16, 2024 at 3:39 pm
Presents findings from the first year of the implementation of the Integrated Care for Kids (InCK) Model, which aims to improve health outcomes for Medicaid-enrolled children with complex physical and behavioral health needs. Provides an overview of the InCK Model and profiles each InCK award recipient's model, community context, approach to assessing beneficiary needs, and alternative payment model design. Identifies models serving rural areas and service gaps in these areas. -- Abt Associates, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
- Needs Assessment of the Obstetric Workforce in Maine's Rural Hospitalson February 15, 2024 at 6:49 pm
Report assessing the workforce needs for 15 hospitals with obstetrics units in rural Maine. Offers a SWOT Analysis and discusses factors contributing to sustainability of the workforce, community characteristics impacting the workforce, recruitment and retention challenges, and training challenges. Offers recommendations at the state, regional, health system, hospital, and unit level. -- MaineHealth, Roux Institute, The Maine Rural Maternity & Obstetrics Management Strategies Network
- Western Rural Development Center 2023 Annual Reporton February 15, 2024 at 5:33 pm
Describes partnerships and initiatives of the Western Rural Development Center in 2023. Discusses economic and community development, broadband, equity in the forestry industry, climate education, networking and collaboration, and extension outreach. -- Western Rural Development Center
- 2024 Status of Women and Girls in Minnesotaon February 15, 2024 at 5:09 pm
Report examining economic opportunity, safety, health and wellness, and leadership equality among women and girls in Minnesota based on data from the American Community Survey, Minnesota Student Survey, and other sources. Highlights disparities in healthcare access, food security, and environmental health for rural populations. -- Center on Women, Gender and Public Policy, University of Minnesota, Women's Foundation of Minnesota
- 2024 Stability of the Rural Health Safety Net: State and National Data Tableson February 15, 2024 at 4:56 pm
Provides links to national and state data tables showing the financial impact of federal policies such as sequestration and bad debt reimbursement on rural hospital revenues, jobs, and gross domestic product. Presented at the February 2024 National Rural Health Association Policy Institute. -- Chartis Center for Rural Health
- U.S. Department of Agriculture Equity Action Plan 2023 Updateon February 15, 2024 at 4:50 pm
Offers overview of 7 equity strategies from the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) including promoting rural prosperity, access to USDA programs, nutrition security, wildfire prevention, increasing access to federal funding, tribal sovereignty, civil rights enforcement, and more. Highlights equity progress updates and accomplishments. Discusses rural throughout. -- U.S. Department of Agriculture
- A Participatory Trust-Building Model for Conducting Health Equity Research With Rural and Urban Native American, Black, and Latinx...on February 14, 2024 at 10:15 pm
Highlights an intervention that aims to increase vaccine equity, engagement, and community trust among rural and urban Black, Indigenous, and Latinx people in New Mexico. The community-based participatory research initiative explores social and cultural elements that shape engagement with the broader community and the effect this has on public health outcomes.
- Project ECHO: PHR 6/5S Tobacco Prevention and Controlon February 14, 2024 at 5:03 pm
A virtual learning network for healthcare and other professionals interested in reducing tobacco use in youth in Public Health Region 6/5S in Texas. -- Texas Health and Human Services