Developing Rural Residency Program – Indiana, PA
Our non-profit, independent community hospital, Indiana Regional Medical Center (IRMC) is a place where physicians truly make a difference. Physicians play key roles in the leadership structure at IRMC. Learners have direct and often individual access to attendings at our community hospital.
- Our physicians lead the healthcare teams, caring for a wide variety of patients including farmers, coal miners, students and staff of Indiana University of Pennsylvania (IUP), our Amish neighbors and more
- Our physicians are focused on service here in our rural underserved community as well as on global health missions in other nations. Residents will have opportunities to participate in global health missions
- IRMC collaborates with learners and instructors from the food and nutrition, PsyD, and nursing programs Indiana University of Pennsylvania
- IRMC physicians provide care to local high schools as well as to the IUP Campus Health Center and to Division II athletic teams at IUP
- IRMC is home to a cutting-edge robotic surgery department as well as a developing National Breast Cancer Center
- IRMC has a Center for Sports Medicine and Orthopedics here at our medical center
We invite you to visit us in Indiana, Pennsylvania, where “It’s a Wonderful Life.” Indiana, PA is the hometown of Jimmy Stewart, the site of Indiana University of Pennsylvania, and is the Christmas Tree Capital of the World. With trails around the hospital and throughout our region, hikers and outdoors enthusiasts of all sorts will find new adventures here. Both the Hoodlebug and Ghosttown bicycle trials run through Indiana County, extending 44 miles and into Cambria County. Blue Spruce County park hosts picnicking, fishing, and hiking around the lake. Yellow Creek State Park offers boating, sailing, camping, mountain biking, and fishing. Indiana is a perfect place to raise a family.
IUP hosts the Kovalchick Complex, home of the IUP Hawks basketball teams, as well as a variety of musicians and performers throughout the year. The IUP Lively Arts Program additionally hosts a variety of theatrical, symphonic, and artistic opportunities on campus at Fisher Auditorium. If you exhaust the activities in the county, Indiana is just 60 miles east of Pittsburgh where you can find professional sports teams, museums, and theaters. IRMC is the kind of place where we care for our neighbors, and everyone is treated as our guest. We look forward to meeting you and supporting you along your educational journey